A Training for Certified Yoga
Teachers and Care Professionals
Making Yoga Accessible for
June 23-25, 2017 - TAYMS 20
June 23-30, 2017 - TAYMS 65
Therapeutic Adaptive Yoga for
Multiple Sclerosis is an experiential workshop designed to give experienced
yoga teachers and health care professionals training in adaptive yoga
techniques for individual students or students in group settings who have
multiple sclerosis and other neurological health conditions. Founded on the Integrative Yoga Therapy model
of whole person wellness, this program includes practical information for yoga
teachers as well as a model for integrating yoga philosophy into practices for
body, mind and spirit.
Yoga offers so many tools for
people living with chronic health conditions. This training provides the tools,
practice and confidence to bring yoga to students who need an adaptive approach
and smaller, specialized classes to meet their needs. While the focus is on multiple sclerosis,
this skills based workshop is applicable to other student populations who need
an adaptive approach. Teachers who
participate in this training will take away additional knowledge, skills and
confidence to assist their students and to creatively address the many
different stressors and limitations that can result from having MS.
Choose the 20-hour
introduction or stay for the week and develop your understanding and skills
alongside individuals living with MS and their Mind Set training
professionals. What's the difference between TAYMS20 and TAYMS65? The week long offers: more hands-on experiences assisting Mind Set group classes, conducting semi-private and private lessons with mentoring from Karen and Travis; presentations from wellness experts and researchers working with the Mind Set community; in-depth anatomy and physiology with regard to MS; more yoga tools to address particular symptoms of MS as well as whole person wellness through the 5 koshas.
TAYMS20 and TAYMS65 are a
collaboration with Travis Ehrhardt, Gusti Ratliff, the staff, and clients of Mind Set Physical
Assisted Training and Neuro Wellness Center in Fort Worth, Texas. Participants will be training alongside
members of the Mind Set community who have been diagnosed with multiple
sclerosis. What better way to learn than
with people who live with this condition every day? Join us for this one of a kind training
- Daily practices to experience
and integrate the tools and philosophy of Integrative Yoga Therapy and their
application for students living with multiple sclerosis
- Adaptive asana and chair yoga.
- Relaxation and Meditation.
- Yoga Philosophy as it applies
to the condition of MS:
- Foundations and overview
- Koshas, Chakras, Doshas.
- Anatomy & Physiology:
- Allopathic (western view)
- Anatomy and physiology of body
systems affected by multiple sclerosis.
- Evidence-based medicine.
- Common treatments including
widely used pharmaceuticals.
- Presentation by an MS
Specialist with extensive knowledge of MS and the importance of regular
exercise including: current research, the effects of stress on the immune
system, the anti-inflammatory benefits of exercise, etc.
- Yogic (eastern view)
- Condition of MS and the Kosha
- Generally recognized
contraindications in the treatment of multiple sclerosis within the context of the
tools and techniques used by Yoga therapists.
- Methodology / Teaching Considerations:
- The practicalities of teaching
group classes or private lessons such as accessible facilities, time of day,
length of class, safety issues, learning styles, symptom awareness, etc.
- Class Design for Students with
- Teaching students with
- Health Questionnaire.
- Roles and Goals.
- Therapeutic Application /
- Adaptive Asana
- Chair Yoga
- Props for Safety and Alignment
- When and How to Assist
- Hands-on-practice, a very
important part of the training, includes small group and individual sessions
with members of the Mind Set community who are diagnosed with multiple
- Teachers say this is the most
meaningful part of the training because they interact with real people rather
than role playing.
- Teachers will receive support
and mentoring from the training staff.
- Business Practices
- Scope of practice
- General regulations related to
working within medical settings.
- Ethical guidelines
- HIPAA regulations.
- 200 hour Yoga Teacher Training
Certification and a minimum of 100 hours Yoga teaching experience
- or with permission of the
- Health care professionals who
work with clients who have MS may also participate.
- Must have a minimum of
one-year direct yoga experience in an ongoing class with a 200+ hour certified
- Mind Set Neuro Wellness Center
- 2307 Gravel Drive, Fort Worth,
Dates: June 23 - 30, 2017
- Attendance at all sessions is
required for certification.
- Friday, 6 - 9:00 p.m.
- Saturday - Thursday, 8:00 a.m.
- 6:00 p.m.
- Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Total program hours: 20 hours for the weekend introduction and 20
CEUs; 65 hours / CEUs for in-depth study, practicum, and TAYMS certification.
- Please let Karen know if you need Yoga Alliance CEUs for this program.
- This program is approved by Integrative Yoga Therapy as an Elective for the 300-hour Advanced Teacher of Therapeutic Yoga Training Program. 65 hour certificate required.
- This program is approved for transfer credit by Integrative Yoga Therapy for Module 4 of the Professional Yoga Therapist Program. Individuals must apply directly with IYT and pay a $75 fee.
- 20 Hour Introduction
- $349, early bird $299 Due 4/23/17
- 65 Hour In-Depth
- $895, early bird $795 Due 4/23/17
Accommodations and Meals:
- Made out to: Yoga Heals Us LLC
- Mail to: Yoga Heals Us LLC, 32
Borodell Avenue, Mystic, CT 06355
- Pay online:
- This is a non-residential
program. Bring your own lunch and
snacks. There a very few food choices
close to the training facility.
- Comfort Suites near Northeast
Mall, a Richland Hills, TX hotel. Mind
Set participants receive a 10% discount.
- Click here for Comfort Suites Direct Link to Book with Discount
- Comfort Suites Contact:
- Sanjiv Melwani “MEL”, General
- Questions about the training:
- Karen O'Donnell Clarke
- Questions about the facility, travel, accommodations, etc:
- Office Manager Mind Set: Assisted Physical Training
- 14 days or more prior to the
first day of the training:
- You will receive a refund
minus a $75 processing fee.
- 13 days through 1 days prior
to the first day of the training:
- You will receive 75% of your
payment minus a $75 processing fee.
- No refund is available:
- if you cancel on the first day
of the training.
- if you are a ‘no show’ or if
you leave the training early for any reason.